Monday, June 8, 2009

Am I in Heaven??

Or is this a dream? This can’t be real, can it? A restaurant that was serving a 3-course meal and wine pairing? Get this, the main ingredient being DOUGHNUTS. Yes, doughnuts. Doughnuts that would make Homer Simpson proud. The doughnut tasting/wine pairing was at Grace restaurant in Los Angeles & I guess pastry chef Maria Swan is a doughnut connoisseur. Who knew doughnuts could be even more delicious than they already are? Well, serve them with amazing ice cream & a tasting of wine perfectly paired to bring out the flavors in both & you my friend will have one heck of a yummy meal.

The first course was a ‘salted caramel covered doughnut served with roasted pecan ice cream & fresh strawberries’ and the wine pairing was a Prosecco which is similar to a champagne but very dry, slightly acidic and crisp.

The second course was a ‘pistachio chocolate buttercream filled doughnut rolled in sugar & served with French vanilla ice cream& paired with a tawny port wine. The wine alone has such a high alcoholic scent it almost burns your nose but after a bite of the doughnut & a sip of the wine, it was clear to me that this Maria Swan knows her doughnuts and wine. The miraculous thing was I enjoyed this second doughnut and wine pairing better as a duo as the flavors of the food and the wine were magnified together but alone would be yummy, just not amazing.

The third course was a ‘buttermilk spiced rum glazed donut’ & was paired with a slightly sweet white dessert wine. It too was quite tasty but was my least favorite. Flavors of doughnut I LOVED the first course but wasn’t a huge fan of the prosecco. The port wine & the second course was let me say again, spectacular.

The whole experience was marvelous. I think I uttered the words, “Oh my gosh” at least two dozen times throughout the evening. I’m not sure if the doughnut tasting/pairing is offered daily as I believe it was a special tribute to National Doughnut Day which was June 5th but I do know Maria Swan (the pastry chef) does make different kinds of desserts, amazing doughnuts included.

No comments:

Post a Comment